Thursday, February 21, 2013

altered brush for Scrappingville

Sweet friends,
Recently, my friend Sharon Yong [of Scrappingville] had invited us, designers and friends to alter paint brushes, just for fun. Yes, inspired by Donna Downey's altered paint brush project, we all thought it would be amazing to have all our paint brushes displayed at the store too :).

And you know me, upon hearing the word "ALTER", I simply went berserk. Ha!. I've been wanting to do this for so long. Having our altered brushes on the wall, may inspire crafters (who don't mind getting their fingers smudged in paint and ink) to start altering things, or should I say up-cycling?. Very healthy habit indeed :).



And I have the perfect things to go with the brush too. Late last year I received a cigar box full of pink tea cups, tea pot and Alice in Wonderland goodies from the talented Amy Bowerman. [Thank you, Amy!!]. I feel bad that I haven't done anything to them yet, but NOW is the perfect time :). 




I thought it would be neat to create an Alice In Wonderland's Tea Time altered brush, complete with tea things mobile :). Here's what I made;


The crazy, altered brush mobile for Sharon :).

the other side.

Altered saucer, now a Wonderland clock!


I wanted it to look steampunk-ish, so I added copper chains and jump rings. Like I did for my Gypsy chunky ATC posted sometime ago. This too, help hold the clock in-place. This was a saucer that has been covered with gesso, paper marche, smudged with blue acrylic ink and distressed with brown Stazon.

I glued a metal key hole so little Alice could peek through:). I colored the blonde bristles with some acrylic blue ink. Almost like Alice had colored her hair blue.

Added a rhyme that Mad Hatter sang at their reunion tea party.




The stripes on teapot, was inspired by the Tweedles' stripy shirts. I covered the teapot with masking tapes, applied gesso and painted with black ink on the exposed areas. Then added paper strips from Lewis Carroll classics that says;

" Alice opened the door and found it led into the loveliest garden she had ever seen".

Home made wire heart :).


It says; "Why you are painting those roses?" asked Alice.

I can't help but to make a mobile from fun Alice In Wonderland things. Still gaga over the sun catcher I made before :). I applied gesso to the pink little teacup and once dried, decoupaged all over with hearts patterned tissue paper. 

Added a red rose, later.


I cannot lie. I felt like a kid while making this!. So much fun. I guess, I'm never tired of Alice In Wonderland. I LOVE getting 'lost' in Wonderland :). Do come by Scrappingville store and check out what other creations my friends had come up with :). Until then, have a sweet week!. HUGS.

14 comments:

  1. altered brush wonderland...! pretty! love the hanging tea cup and the saucer! i went to SC yesterday afternoon and bought some stuffs..hehe..wanted to have a closer look at the art journal but hubby is impatiently waiting at Coffee Bean..hopefully one day, i can join one of your art journal class...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning up-cycling project. Love this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW WOW WOW!! I'm speechless, can't even find a word good enough for this! I LOVE LOVE ALL OF IT!!

    This is one of my FAVORITE things on Donna's blog, I look and admire each one she shows. Even thought about having them in a art studio if I had one. It's so much fun to see what others come up with.

    I'm so glad your doing this too and hope you can share more.
    Seriously, IT'S AMAZING AND MORE!!
    p.s. you should let Donna know to come by and see your blog, she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun!! I absolutely love your beautiful and whimsical altered paintbrushes!! So cool!!'n

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such an inspiration Shahrul!
    I love your art and you make me look at brush in a whole different way!
    And of course, who could resist Alice and teacups!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I am always amazed when I pop in here. What a fabulous project my friend. You rocked this challenge girly..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. One of the best decorated paint brushes ever! This is quirky and magical and soooooooo fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazingly cool! I can see you had a blast making this... oh my, the details are killer... the stripes alone blew me away realizing their meaning. LOVE this. There's a blog all about Altered Alice - you should definitely link this beauty up, Shahrul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. im speechless.. too cute! very clever, shahrul. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wei!!! I have yet to alter mine...she gave me the paint brush and I have been thinking on the design and etc...got to do it one of these days and submit to her. Yours are so pretttttyyyy!!!!

    ReplyDelete

' Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen ' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP