Monday, November 12, 2012

'Funky Ladies' mixed-media dress form

Dear friends,
I'm finally able to post my November DT project for Scrappingville. I feel so much better now, and that is great for creating more art!. I'll share with you the second DT project soon. I love, love seeing vintage dress forms online. Though, never saw one at the flea markets here :(. What took me so long to make one, I wonder. So here it is, my first try at embellishing dress forms. A lot of fun, I tell ya!.




Special thing about the dress form book is that, each piece represents all of us, Women Who Create :). Who inspires others to do the same. Of course, I LOVE to add some quirkiness to their dresses :).




First, I prepped my ladies with some molding paste on their heads, shoulders and the 'feet' for dimension. [Mimicking the 'real' vintage dress forms]. Left to dry for a day or two. Then I painted with acrylic, decoupaged tissue papers and stamped with ink on their dresses. I adhered pattern papers for a couple of them. I chose warm, earthy, soft colors for my girls.





If you like, you could add little pockets or photo frames on them. I had mine embellished with metal beads, copper wires, metal charms, paper roses, ribbons & laces.

Meet some of my ladies;
the elegant one,

the 'pink' & proper,

the flea market junky,


the steampunk-wannabe,


the curious dreamer,


and the altered princess.

I think the dress form chipboards are great for making BFF's mini albums, Mother's Day little tags or Proms brag books!. Just add your fav. photos :). The chipboard takes acrylic paint and mediums very well, I LOVE them. 

So, that's it. I'll be teaching this project soon @ Scrappingville and do check our class schedule for details. 
Have a great week!. Hugs.

Supplies: 
Collection Elements French Wallpaper 6X6" Pattern papers, Collection Elements Artistic Expressions (Upper & Lowercase), CE heart chipboards, Hambly Screen Prints (Frames), Maya Road Dress Form Chipboard Book, TYPO Wrap Happy tissue paper, MOMOYO charm (crown). Washi tapes, metal beads, ribbons & laces and paper roses from my stash.

24 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW!!!! Shahrul you are AMAZING AND TALENTED AND SOOOO CREATIVE!!! This is my VERY FAVORITE POST NOW, BOOK MARKED IT TO SAVE AND LOOK BACK ON.

    How adorable these dress forms are to play with!! I haven't seen these before but now I HAVE TO BUY SOME!!

    Each one is brillant and so pretty and AMAZING!! I tried to pick a favorite but LOVE LOVE EACH ONE.
    This made me smile, thanks so much for sharing them. The only sad part is not living closer to you so I can take this class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I LOVE it when little things I created made you smile! Yes, yes you must get them to play (Maya Road dress form chipboard), they can be your tiny mixed media canvas :). I'm going to learn how to put together online videos then, you all may be able to join me in my classes, yes?. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. these are so beautiful!!! They look so great collectively or apart!! I especially love that first one-ooo la la!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda!. These are all us, women who create. I feel connected to the 'curious dreamer' myself, since I dream alot :). Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Very cute .... these all make powerful statements about women... what an encouraging project! Once again your work is superbe Shahrul ... beautifully done! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a celebration of us, Kelly!. I'm so happy to finally made them looked pretty, LOL. Thanks so much!. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Shahrul these dress forms are beautiful, so many wonderful techniques used. I love them. I'm your newest follower you have a wonderful blog. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michele!. Thank you so much for following me :). Glad you enjoy coming here. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Such a pretty things.... I want that Paris dress form to me me! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to smile at this. I created that elegant one with you in my mind, cause I know you love Paris :). Hugs.

      Delete
  6. These are beautiful. So many wonderful little elements my friend. You sure are good at the little details.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must tell you that growing up, I hardly played with dolls, LOL. So, it certainly a joy making these dresses :).

      Delete
  7. Bet these were fun to make. Love the steampunk wannabe and flea market models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Maria :). Thank you so much, glad you enjoyed them. I considered myself as a steampunk-wannabe sometimes since I keep hoarding odd metals and charms from the fleamarket :). I'm the curious dreamer the most.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much :). I'm making these ladies as a dedication for every women who creates. Glad you enjoyed them :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sharul I just love this! You have a very inspiring blog. I must apologize because I haven't taken care of your prize for the Altered Alice win last month. Lynne sent me your email but I didn't realize that I should have passed it along to Smeared ink. I will email you at your krazycruzzin email address and forward it to the proper place for you to receive your gift code. I'm so very sorry for dropping the ball. xxD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna,
      I'm glad you enjoyed visiting :). No worries, I'm not in a hurry :). Thank you for the great prizes!. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. OMG Sharul! I LOVE these! I may have to get me some lol What a wonderful job you have done too.. I have done a dress form.. a bit different but cant show it till later date :( I sure love your different names for them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, oohh I would love to work on a real dress form, someday :). Can't wait to see you reveal them!. Thanks so much!.

      Delete
  11. Shahrul, these are wonderful! Love how individual and unique they are. Real treasures! Hope you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shut the front door!!! These have me reeling! I love them each and every one. I could put them by my desk and get nothing done ALL day...LOL. I love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It's play time!!. Totally fun making these ladies, thanks so much, Lisa!.

      Delete
  13. Yeap and i had a closer look at this one at the shop. Awesome!!! I can feel the vibes of your creativeness when i hold this dress from album. Besst.. and so inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?. You've touched it?. Lots of texture to be sure!. And of course you'll feel 'love' there :).

      Delete

' Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen ' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP