Friday, May 11, 2012

Color me Happy

It rained again this afternoon. Now the small woods behind my apartment building is covered with mist and the birds are chirping. I can hear many different birds, singing different songs!. Wish you could hear them. I love this moment. 

Just before the rainstorm stopped, I completed another art journal page. I have made a promise to try fill up my 'Happy Soul' art journal in two weeks. I have no idea if I could, but as of now, I'm enjoying the process of making little art every day.

This is a very simple page. Experimenting with soft pastel colors mixed with some water. I begin to like pastel now ... and the color orange! :)).

I started preparing the page by sticking re-inforcement rings all over the edge and covered the whole page with a wash of gesso. (Just remember to dry thoroughly after every paint you put on the page, and before adding a new color). Then I made a heart paper cut out, and sprayed onto it with red glimmer mist. I drew a thick line along the crisp lining of the heart with an orange pastel, then smudged it with my wet finger. After it dried, outlined the heart with black india ink.


On the opposite page, I used my finger to smudge sap green acrylic color on the sides. I drew 3 orange circles with pastel, wet it with my finger. With one hand holding the other page upside down, I added more water to the orange circles and let it dripped!. I did the same thing to the magenta pastel color. After all that dried, I wrote "Play with Color, makes me happy" with black india ink. After that dried, added stamping with Stazon, and a couple of fabric stickers. That's it. It's done.

I'm so happy how this turned out. Came to think of it, rain makes me want to paint. Weird. There is a theory that says, you are most happy when there is a lot of water around you. People sing their heart out in bathrooms :P, and no one is sad at the beach, right?. I hope you are happy today no matter what is going on in your life right now :)). 
Adios.

XO,
Shahrul

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful journal. Love the way you paint your pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pages are sooooo beautiful! Love your colors and the big bold writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjie. I love pastels now, they make my journal pages so vibrant.

      Delete
  3. Another BEAUTIFUL art journal page...doesn't look simple at all. Then again I'm not a master like you!
    PS> It sounds absolutely wonderful and inspiring at your house!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lalo. I like to take this opportunity to wish you "Happy Mother's Day" in advance :))

      Delete
  4. Oh my!! What a wonderful page.. I just LOVE it. Makes me want to get back to my journal and play with some paints. You know I just LOVE the rain and the ocean. So I think your right. Water does make one Happy!

    Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. Welcome back from the trip to San Francisco!. Art journaling is so ADDICTIVE ...LOL, I just realized it now :)).

      Delete
  5. Wow! Your art journal is shaping up really nicely. Fabulous pages and great use of colours! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Yvonne. I can't help myself but every morning I wake up and ask " What should we paint today " :)).

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Marla. Thank you. I just visited your website and your artwork is exquisite! :)).

      Delete
  7. Really beautiful spread!!!! Nature and water truly is such a powerful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

' Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen ' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP